Monday, March 31, 2008

Narritive 2


As I stood there waiting for the prize winners name to be drawn I though back to all the problems that had happened in the month leading up to this day. How could I forget it? I’m surprised that I am even standing here. The pain and suffering that I had gone through just for this one chance. People say that all great artists have suffered for their art I’m pretty sure that what I’ve been through more than qualifies. I saw the ad in the paper a fine art competition for any one in the United States. The winner would get two thousand dollars and would have and article published in more than 10 art magazines. This is what I needed in order to fulfill my dream of become an acknowledged artist. The theme of the composition was Natures Children. Since I can remember I have always loved to draw and paint. I went to art school and gained a masters degree in art education. I wasn’t able to find any jobs but I still do work of my own and sell it in order to pay my rent. My Father was a great man he paid for my education; he paid for my art materials, and supported me through out my life. My mother died when I was born and I had no siblings but my life was full of friends so I was never lonely.

I remembered that I had to get back at the task at hand and stop thinking about my life. I sat down at my drafting table and began drawing up ideas for the competition. I went through paper after paper trying to come up with the perfect animal to paint. I went through animal after animal. Two days later I went to the zoo with my camera to find the perfect picture. After a couple of hours and many photos I saw what I needed. I started immediately over the next few weeks I work day after day trying to make it look better. Then my father be came sick and was rushed to the hospital he died before I was even able to say good bye. I went back and finished working on my painting but every hour that passed seem to get longer. After a few weeks I began feeling better. I had made the decision to purpose the girl that I had been dating for five years. My father had always liked her and had told me not to loose a woman that great. We were at a nice restaurant I remember holding my hand on the box all through diner. At the end I got down on one nee and asked her to marry her. With out hesitation her was no as I sat kneeled there I asked why. She told me that she was no longer in love with me and that for the past two years she had been dating someone else and was actually already engaged. All I could do was walk away. I went back to painting working to finish my art. I don’t know why but for some reason my emotions have shut down and nothing really bothers me. I had three weeks left till the time and I was just about finished I decided to take a break and see what one of my friends was doing. His wife picked up and the only thing she said after I asked where John was, was that he was dead. I went to my room and slept. I finished my art painting and was ready for the show. Now here I am waiting for the announcement. They opened the card he said my name I was so happy. A man walked up next to him an whispered something in his ear. He then announced that my painting was to be disqualified because it was airbrushed and not done in oil or acrylic paints. The prize went to some other man who had painted some butterflies. Now I’m sitting here in my bathroom the floor now a nice crimson red and the feeling of complete relaxation.

No comments: